A philanthropic organization which provides support to the widowed and their families
The Statute of the Group for Widows/Widowers and their Families:
a) A “widow” or “widower” is a person who has lost his/her spouse by means of death, whether accidental, natural or otherwise unless proved to be inflicted by the applicant.
b) “families” comprises dependent child or children.
c) A dependent child is considered to be any child under the age of 18 and is resident with the widowed parent. Also included is someone who the committee considers a “dependent child” because of his/her special need and is resident with the widowed parent.
1. Name of the Group: The name of the group is Minus One.
2.Aims of the Group:
a) To give moral and emotional support to widowed persons and their children
b) To provide information and advice to widowed persons.
c) To provide friendship to widowed persons facing the same problems
d) To offer practical help to widowed persons.
e) To provide a meeting place/s for the widowed and their children.
f) To raise awareness of the community at large regarding the needs
of the widowed and their children.
g) To present proposals to the authorities regarding any legislation that may need to be introduced or amended to cater for the specific needs of the widowed and their children.
3.Status of the Group:
Minus One is a philanthropic and non-profit making organization.
a) Full Membership: Full Membership shall be opened to all widowed persons who have not yet reached the age of sixty-one ( 61) at time of application and who were married and living together with their spouse up till the time of death. The upper age limit of sixty-one (61) must not and cannot be altered by any means, as decided by the Extraordinary General Meeting held on 2nd October 2009.
b) Membership application: A widowed person shall apply for membership of the Group on the official application form. A death certificate of the spouse must be presented together with the application form. The committee reserves the right to refuse membership without having to disclose its reasons.
c) Membership records: The Membership Secretary is responsible for keeping accurate records of the members. These records must not be made available to any outside body, always keeping within any legislation prevailing at the time such as the Freedom of Information Act & the Data Protection Act.
d) Membership Fees: Membership fees are due on 1st January of each year. The membership fees that can be charged by the Group are established during the preceding Annual General Meeting.
e) Withdrawal of Membership: The Group shall have the right to withdraw the membership of any member whose activities conflict with the Aims of the Group. Prior to withdrawing membership, the member concerned must be informed of his / her right to appear before the Committee to express his / her views,
a) Group Committee: The management of the Group will be in the hands of a Committee consisting of members whose duty shall be to carry out the Aims of the Group as well as to administer, manage and control the property and affairs of the group. The committee shall consist of the following: At least 5 ( five) but not more than 7 ( seven ) elected members. No more than two co-opted members ( except in the case of 5h)
b) Eligibility: Members of the Committee cannot form part of the management of similar organization or organizations.
c) Election of Officers: The election of the members of the Committee will take place at the Annual General Meeting ( hereinafter referred to as AGM) of the Group. Nominations signed by the proposer, the seconder, and the nominee shall be delivered to the Secretary at least 7(seven) days before the AGM. In case of a tie in the election where more than seven members would be elected, another election would be held amongst those involved in the tie.
d) Distribution of Duties: The members elected to the Committee shall elect from their number the officers of the Group, that is, The Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer, Public Relations Officer, Membership Secretary, Welfare Officer, Social Secretary, and other such duties as they feel necessary.
e) Committee Meetings: The members of the Committee take office at the end of the AGM, and must hold at least 10 (ten) Committee meetings before the next AGM.
f) Special Committee Meetings: Special Committee meetings may be called at any time by the Secretary, at the request of any 2 (two) Committee members, giving at least seven days notice to all Committee members of the matter(s) to be discussed.
g) Voting: At Committee meetings, matters shall be decided by a simple majority vote of the members present. In case of an equality of votes, the Chairperson shall have an additional casting vote. Votes can be taken in secret if requested by any member of the Committee. A quorum at a Committee meeting is 4 (four) voting members, or one-half of the voting members of the Committee, whichever is the greater.
h) Vacancies: Any vacancy that occurs between AGMs may be filled by a member co-opted by the Committee. Co-opted members have the same voting rights as elected Committee members.
i)Length of Office: The elected members of the Committee shall hold office for 1 (one) calendar year. The co-opted member’s term shall expire on the first AGM held after his/her co-option.
j)End of Term of Office: The Committee, on ending its term of office, shall ensure that all relevant documentation relating to the Group’s affairs, is to be handed to the incoming Committee within 10 days of its election.
k) Minutes & Accounts: The Secretary shall keep minutes of the Committee meetings which shall be available to the Committee. The Treasurer shall present a statement of account at Committee meetings when so requested by the Committee.
l) Sub – Committees: The Committee may appoint sub-committees to which it may, from time to time, and for such duration, as it determines, delegate any of its functions as it may decide. The Chairperson or his/her delegate shall be an ex-ufficio member of all such sub-committees
a) AGMs: The financial year of the Group ends on 31st December each year. The AGM shall be held during February or March to receive the Annual Report and Accounts, elect the Committee and to consider any other business that is necessary. At least 14 (fourteen) clear days notice of the AGM shall be given in writing by the Secretary to the members. There will be a quorum when 10 (ten) members or one-third of the membership whichever is the least, are present.
b) Chairing Meetings: The Chairperson will chair any meeting of the Committee. In the absence of the Chairperson, there shall be elected a “chairperson of the meeting” who in the case of an equality of votes shall have an additional casting vote.
c) EGMs : All Extraordinary General Meetings (hereinafter referred to as EGM) may be called at any time by the Committee or at the written request of 15 (fifteen) members stating the reason of the meeting. The EGM will be called by the Secretary, who will give all members 14 (fourteen) clear days notice. The quorum is as 6a above.
d) Disputes: In the event of a dispute within the Group, the chair at an EGM shall be taken by an impartial person who is acceptable to all parties involved in the dispute.
a) Income & Property: All income and property of the Group shall be applied solely towards the Aims of the Group and nothing shall be paid or transferred in any way to any Committee member or any other third party.
b) Reimbursement of Expenses: The repayment of any out-of-pocket expenses incurred in the course of work carried out, shall be made to members and Committee members.
c) Fund Raising: The Group’s Committee has the sole power to collect and accept donations, to issue requests for donations and to raise money through any other means it deems appropriate. Any money raised for specific projects must be used for that purpose and any money raised from public funds or charitable funds intended solely for Minus One must only be spent for the benefit of widowed persons and their children.
d) Use of Funds: The funds of the Group may be used to pay paper costs, charges, and expenses incurred by the Group.
e) Treasurer’s Responsibilities: The Treasurer must keep account and issue receipts in duplicate for all income and expenditure relating to the Group and will provide relevant details at Committee meetings. At the end of each financial year (31st December), the Treasurer will draw up the annual accounts and these, together with the books, will be checked by an independent person who may or may not be a member of the Group, but must not be a member of the Committee. This person is to be appointed preferably at the AGM, or by the elected Committee as soon as possible after the AGM.
f) Financial Loss: No member shall be responsible for any loss caused by them in the course of their duty towards the Aims of the Group, except when such a loss was deliberate and done with the intent to deprive the Group.
g) Accounts Records: Any paid-up members of the Group may see the books of account after giving reasonable notice to the Treasurer.
8. Committee Powers All matters not provided for in this statute relating to the Group and not involving an amendment to this statute may be dealt with by the Committee.
9. Alterations to the Statute: No alterations shall be made to the statute except at the AGM or EGM. Any proposals for an amendment is to be delivered to the Secretary at least 7 (seven) days before the AGM or EGM as the case may be, and shall receive the assent of not less than two-thirds of the votes cast.
10. Dissolution of the Group: The Group may be dissolved by a resolution passed by a three-quarters majority of those present and voting at the meeting of the Group for which 21 (twenty-one) clear days’ notice stating the intention to put forward such a resolution shall have been sent to all members of the Group. Any assets remaining after the settlement of all debts and liabilities, including property, held by, or in the name of the Group, must be donated to local charities.
MINUS ONE recognizes that in society, certain groups and individuals continue to be discriminated upon on the basis of gender, political beliefs, race, colour, ethnic or national origin, sexuality, physical or mental disability, social status and/or religious beliefs.
Accordingly, MINUS ONE commits itself to develop and implement a Policy in order to eliminate unfair discrimination in all aspects of its activities, in the service it provides to widowed persons, and in the way it interacts with other organizations, Furthermore, the Group realizes that equal opportunities will not just happen but have to be actively promoted and strived for.
KODICI TA’ ETIKA
GHALL-MEMBRI TAL-GRUPP MINUS ONE
APPROVATI IL-GIMGHA 18 TA’ JANNAR 2002
Kull membru tal-grupp Minus One, jirrikonoxxi li sabiex il-grupp jimxi fuq sisien sodi u jigi evitat li jinholoq inkwiet bla bzonn, jorbot lilu nnifsu u jaghraf li, il-grupp qieghed hemm biex jghin ir-romol zghazagh u ta’ nofs eta, u lil familji taghhom. Jaghraf li dan qieghed jitmexxa b’mod voluntarju u ghalhekk:
- ghandu joqghod ghall-istatut tal-grupp
- ghandu joqghod ghal dak li jintalab minnhu mill-kumitat, elett minnhu stess waqt il-Laqgha Generali Annwali
- jimxi ma’ dawn il-kodici fil-konfront tieghu mal-membi l-ohra tal-grupp
U ghalhekk huwa jirristringi ruhu milli
- jdejjaq b’mistoqsijiet jew mod iehor lil membri ohra, attwali jew futuri, tal-grupp
- jxerred ghajdut jew qlajjiet dwar membri ohra
- jitkellem b’mod baxx, jaghmel xi mossi provokatorji jew suggerimenti mhux xierqa, waqt l-attivitajiet tal-grupp
- jorganizza jew jwaqqaf nuclei fi hdan il-grupp, permezz ta’ attivitajiet jew xort’ohra li jistghu ikunu ta’ detriment ghall-grupp
- juza propjeta u materjal tal-grupp, afdat lilu, ghall-skopijiet persunali minghajr permess esplicitu tal-kumitat
- jwaqqaf jew jxekkel lil xi membri milli jattendu ghall-attivitajiet tal-grupp
- jintroduci xorb alkoholiku minghajr awtorizzazjoni tal-kumitat
Filwaqt li jwieghed li
- jghin fit-tmexxija tal-grupp biex il-grupp ikompli jissoda
- jghin waqt l-attivitajiet biex dawn ikunu ta’ success
- jghin lil membri l-ohra minghajr distinzjoni jew diskriminazzjoni
- jikteb lil kumitat fil-kas ta’ xi nuqqas minn xi membru iehor fil-konfront tieghu u/jew fil-konfront tal-grupp. Barra min hekk, jifhem:
- li l-introduzzjoni ta’ terzi pesuni (professjonali jew mhumiex) u li m’ghandhomx x’jaqsmu direttament mal-grupp, ghandha ssir b’certa prudenza u diskrezzjoni, u tkun responsabbli ta’ l-agir taghhom dik il-persuna li ggibhom maghha
- li ksur b’mod sfaccat ta’ xi wahda mill-paragrafi ta’ dawn il-kodici ta’ etika, jfisser sospensjoni mill-grupp bi dritt li jidher quddiem il-kumitat
- li d-decizjoni tal-kumitat hija finali u inappellabli
- li f’kazijiet fejn membri ohra tal-grupp jistghu jigu affetwati hazin u/jew fejn decizjoni mghaggla hija mehtiega, ic-Chairperson, b’konsulenza ma’ mill-inqas zewg membri ohra tal-kumitat, jista’ jitlob ir-rizenja u f’kazijiet aktar gravi, anke jissospendi lil kwalunkwe membru li l-attendenza tieghu tista’ tkun ta’ detriment ghall-ohrajn
- li kull sospensjoni ghanda tkun bil-miktub, u trid tkun iffirmata mic-Chairperson ma’ mill-inqas zewg membri ohra tal-kumitat
- li f’kaz li jigi sospiz, ma jkollu l-ebda dritt ghal xi rifuzjoni ta’ hlasijiet, inkluz dawk ta’ shubija u/jew kontribuzzjonijiet ohra.